Dr. Lopez is currently the executive director of crisis and safety for Waukegan Public Schools. Prior to his current assignment, he worked as a school administrator for over five years. Robert has also enjoyed twenty-year career in law enforcement with assignments in patrol gang unit, investigations, SRO, D.A.R.E., and supervisory assignments including director of public safety.
Robert has published magazine articles in the area of school safety and has presented at both national and regional school safety conferences on the collaborative efforts of school and law enforcement personnel working together to create and implement school emergency management plans.
10:30 AM - 11:15 AM TBC
COLLABORATION BETWEEN SCHOOL AND LAW ENFORCEMENT FOR SCHOOL EMERGENCY MANAGEMENTThe learning forum is based on my qualitative multiple case study doctoral research in the area of school emergency management readiness and the relationship between school administrators and law enforcement personnel, namely School Resource Officers (SROs). The participants in my study consisted of 3 school district level supervisors, 3 principals, 3 SRO supervisors, and 3 SROs.
Learning Objectives and Participant OutcomesThe participant will analyse the current collaborative efforts between school and law enforcement personnel in the area of school emergency management.
- The participant will analyze the current collaborative efforts between school and law enforcement personnel
- The participant will discuss and design areas of improving effective communication strategies and building trust within the interogation
- The participant will understand unconscious bias may affect the trust and relationship building process and to work through this dile
- The participants will leave with a better understanding of each other's missions, goals, and objectives in the school emergency management
- The participants will learn some tools to use in effective communication building within these interorganizational relationship
- The participants will gain a better understanding of conscious and unconsciuos bias and how to overcome these obstacles