Ron is currently the Training Administrator for the Prevention/Intervention and Training/Certification Sections within the Maryland Center for School Safety. Prior to that Ron was the Deputy Director for the National Law Enforcement and Corrections Technology Center (NIJ/DOJ) following a career with the Maryland National Capital Park Police Department, where he retired as Assistant Chief.
TBC Fri, Apr 22, 2022 Orlando, FL
Cops to Counselors: Training to Support Student Mental Health and SafetyThis workshop discusses the evolution of a state-wide School Resource Officer model training program to provide law enforcement officers the tools and perspective to work effectively in school settings by recognizing normal and abnormal adolescent behavior and tools to respond to students' mental health as well as physical safety needs.
Participants will be able to describe the evolving role of SROs and Security, and how training is an important part of preparation for that role.
- Participants can list important key topics that SRO training should contain.
- Participants can describe how these topics support a role of informal counselor.
- Participants can cite ways that a properly trained SRO can assist with mental health supports in schools.
- Advocate for adequate SRO training before officers are deployed to schools.
- Identify core curriculum for SRO training requirements.
- Identify measures to monitor the effectiveness of model training and SRO programs.