Wayne Sheehan is currently the director of Campus Safety at the Norwich Free Academy, an Independent Institution serving over 2,000 students from 8 partner districts in grades 9-12. Prior to his work at NFA, Mr. Sheehan worked as a detective, a school resource officer, and police chief in New Hampshire. Mr. Sheehan has served as an Open Source Intelligence Consultant for Navigator and a Senior Consultant for Law Enforcement and Education in the Greater Boston Area. In addition to these professional contributions, Mr. Sheehan is active in the youth hockey circuit, serving as Head Coach, GM, and Commissioner in a variety of youth and junior hockey organizations across New England.
Thu, Nov 18, 2021
Real-Life Safety Assessment Guide and Tools for Schools: A Success StoryBy reviewing an averted school violence incident, the presenters will describe how NFA's Safety Assessment Team works to support students and families in crisis while also maintaining and promoting safety in the entire school community. Using plain language an a practical approach, attendees will walk away with strategies to create a multidisciplinary response to threats of violence or self-harm.
- Review a successfully averted school violence event
- Discuss a multidisciplinary approach to respond to violent threats made on/off/about campus
- Demonstrate how to use school land community resources to establish a Safety Assessment Team
- Discuss tools and strategies that may enhance a school's multidisciplinary approach to threat response.
- Attendees will be able to describe how a multidisciplinary Safety Assessment process can help avert potentially vionet events on school campuses.
- Participants will have tools in-hand that can be used to design an effective Safety Asess,ent process/team at their school.
- Attendees will have the ability to articlate and substantiate the creation and implementation in a safety assessment team/process within their school